When you first started your business, we’re willing to bet it’s because you were passionate about your vision, not details like email marketing. But for most companies, email marketing is an essential investment that can provide a huge payoff (when it’s done well).
So what happens when you realize your email marketing just isn’t working?
Before overhauling your current campaign, start by going back to the basics. Whether you’re shuffling things around in-house or you’re engaging an awesome email marketing company (*cough* *cough*) to help you, take the time to consider the following:
- What are your goals? Do you want to engage new customers, re-engage old customers, find new prospects, or a combination of all three? Are you trying to increase sales, build brand awareness, or get people to engage with your company in new ways? What defines success for your company? Having solid goals will guide your campaign strategy and set clear KPIs for measurement.
- Who is your audience…really? This is one of the most important questions, and it’s surprising how often it’s overlooked. First of all, how did you get your list? Are these prospects, existing customers, people who visited your booth at a trade show, or emails you purchased from a vendor? (Fingers crossed it’s not the latter.) Are they primarily men in their 60s or are they women in their 30s? Knowing who you’re talking to will help define a segmentation strategy—and figure out if you’re talking to the right people in the first place.
- What is your brand voice? Are you quirky and fun, or logical and reliable? An awe-inspiring combination of the two? Defining your company’s personality will help shape the nature of your campaign and keep your broadcasts consistent.
- Where are you driving people? If you’re doing email marketing well, you’re going to get clicks. Where should those clicks go? Do you have a robust blog or an awesome Twitter account? Are there areas of your website that seem to get thousands of views or some that have unvisited potential? Make a list of the click worthy content you have that can be used in future broadcasts.
- Who is taking the lead? Who is responsible for making decisions? Whether you’re carrying out your own campaigns or working with a partner like us, assigning a point person is the way to go.
If you know you need a change, the answers to these questions can help you pinpoint where you got off track and the direction you need to be going. That’s an awesome starting point for your internal team and/or the agency you’re planning on working with.
So, what comes next?
If you work with Email Broadcast, we’ll start with a 20 minute consultation that will help us make a recommendation about your company’s specific needs and help you decide if you like us. If you do, our entire team of email marketing pros will brainstorm a list of 100 campaign ideas your audience will love. From there, you’ll be assigned your own dedicated account coordinator—along with a talented designer, a ruthless copy editor, and a nerdy coder to help make your campaigns wildly successful.
We’ll collaborate every step of the way, but you won’t have to carry the extra weight of your email campaigns anymore—and you can focus your energy where it’s needed most. If you don’t like us, or burritos, or chocolate…well, then you’re on your own.
We’re not the right choice for everyone, but if handling your own email marketing is weighing you down, contact us and let’s find out!